Winter Tyres

Buy, sell, swap, or give away your stuff.
Mr Scuttleman

Winter Tyres

Post by Mr Scuttleman »

Any advice re winter tyres? Tubeless. Brand and width spec - front and back? Current tyres (2.2) have v little grip. Guy in superstore recommended:
Either:
Maxis Ignitor Front
Maxis Advantage Rear
Both 2.1
or
Bronson - front and back (not sure re width)

Want to move. Extra grip would be nice but prefer to cover ground and stay out of muck if I have to. Might leave on for summer as current tyres worn or maybe will have 2 sets - winter and summer. Don't mind investing in a good set.
Going to let cycle superstore put them on. Suspect it needs compressor. Even if it doesn't, too stupid and too lazy to do. No time to do and useless.
DavidT

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by DavidT »

A mine field is tyres :)
You wouldn't go too far wrong with Schwalbe Nobby Nics or Specialized Purgatory Control - both available as tubeless, both around 2.2.
I've used ignitors before and I prefer either of the above for shedding muck.
Others have a preference for a Panaracer trailraker on the back for huge grip from a 2.1 tyre.

As for fitting - you're going to have to fit a tyre one day yourself!
I pumped up the Purgatory Control tyres with a track pump. Are your rims tubeless or are you using rim strips?
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Specialized tires are good and great value. I also had Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tubless on the front and back. great XC/AM tire for soft ground and general trail riding. If you buy proper UST tires and a bottle of sealent it should be no problem to get them sealed. its also handy to know if you get a burb or puncture on the trail how to fix a tubless tire. By fitting them yourself you get a better understanding how they work.

I have no problem helping you to fit the tires. you can call over one evening if you want.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Good man Brian, everyone loves a good tyre discussion. Rest assured you will be none the wiser at the end of it.
I hate changing tyres so I ride the same tyres in all conditions. Nobby nics are great all rounders, roll well and good grip. Some say they're flimsy but they're tougher than they look and will last well if you pump them hard and ride like a ninja. Go for 2.25s as they tend to measure a bit on the skinny side. I like ignitor treads but 2.1s are too skinny and next size up is too heavy. Panaracer trailrakers or firexc pro are grand on the back but not up front. I've never used them tubeless.
As for fitting, get an expert like Rudolf or a shop mechanic to show you how. If you decide to stick with the same tyres all the time they'll last 6 months at least, just top up the sealant every so often to make sure it's not dried out.
Also bear in mind that even if you go tubeless, you'll still have to carry a spare tube on spins.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Front Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
Back Panaracer Trailraker 2.1
Mr Scuttleman

Post by Mr Scuttleman »

Thanks to everyone for generous advice and offers.
Great to be in a club. Thought that I was the only gay in the village riding around Kilbrannish on my own! Now I have all this advice. Lights ordered too!
Haven't a clue re rim tubeless or rim strips. All I know is that the wheels are tubeless.
Understand that I still need tubes for punctures. I had tubeless tires on my hard tail in Donegal and had an awful time getting them on and off. Broken levers, bent spoons, scratched rims, loss of skin etc . Will go for below if I can get:
Front Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25
Back Panaracer Trailraker 2.1
Might take Rudolph up on offer. Need to develop some repair skills.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Hello Brian i sent you a PM, with my phone nr. give me a ring and we will organise something.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Brian

When you go to Rudolf tell him you need 24.62psi in the front and 23.85 psi in the back. These figures are robust and are the results of rigourous field testing.

Don't take no for an answer.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DF, those pressures might have been suitable for you before you discovered cheese and wine! 40psi might suit you better now.

Brian is an altogether tidier beast with a svelte figure but only rudimentary bike skills, so his back tyre should be exactly as hard as a ripe Outspan. Nobby Nics need a bit of extra pressure so I would suggest 29psi in front.
Mr Scuttleman

Post by Mr Scuttleman »

Overwhelmed! Also a little bit worried. Sad, grown men obsessed with tyres AND pressure. Will I get like that too if I hang around with you guys?!
Grateful of the partial compliment but using me to knock an injured man when he's down.... Really please distance me from that behaviour. Wine and cheese is why I cycle.
Looks like KOMs will be safe with these tractor tyres.
Can't roll up with them shop fitted now, can I? Will loose any credibility that I have. Thanks Roland - no PM received. Mobile is 087 7985286
Found them on CRC. Foldable I presume ok?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19166
I presume double defence or UST better?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78386
Some glue too I presume. Really am a big girl, will have to man up.
Really appreciate all the advice.