Looking for a Turbo Trainer

Buy, sell, swap, or give away your stuff.
Orls

Looking for a Turbo Trainer

Post by Orls »

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a Turbo Trainer. Questions:
- Has anyone got one lying around gathering dust they would like to lend/rent me for six months max?
- If not, any advice on where I should start looking for a second hand one?
- Whats the ball park cost?
Thanks
BShaugh

Re: Looking for a Turbo Trainer

Post by BShaugh »

Cost anywhere from €140 upwards - http://www.wiggle.co.uk and http://www.thebikeshop.ie (he's based in Wexford town and is good)

Donedeal.ie best place prob to source a second hand one but the bikophiles would know best (Pj, Barry, David, Don)

if you can part with the cash would be as well getting one yourself,
even though I cycle feck all if it's late and I didn't get out for a run or minding babas just hope on the old turbo for 40 minutes, very handy
don

Post by don »

Bikophiles, I like that :D

Hi Orla, Brian is correct, they range from approx €140 upwards. Wiggle on www.wiggle.co.uk or Chain Reaction Cycles on www.chaimreactioncycles.com are in my experience the best websites to purchase (the latter based in the North) and there are good offers at the moment on all turbos. Of course good cycle shops will stock them or at least will have access to a good brand and order one for you. The two best brands are Tacx and Elite (also the more expensive), but the truth is there's not much to go wrong with a Turbo. Done Deal and Adverts.ie are the best websites for second hand bikes and accessories.

I can lend you and 'Elite' branded Turbo for a week or two if you want to try one out before purchasing. Frank has designed a CD for hours of entertainment whilst on a turbo ;) , so he'll sort you out there. There's not much joy on a turbo, but unfortunately with our weather a necessity.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Could be your lucky day Orla! I recently listened to two stalwarts of the club giving out about how much they hated the turbo, so much so they were going to throw them out. "I'd rather go out on the MTB in a hurricane that sit on that yoke", that sort of thing. I'll leave it up to them to identify themselves. :lol:
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

DavidC wrote: "I'd rather go out on the MTB in a hurricane that sit on that yoke"
-10 you mean.

Orla you can have mine on an indefinite loan. I hate the f***ing thing. Even with Franks videos. I'll drop it up to you at the weekend. It's a bit knackered cos every time I pass it I give ot a kick.

Unless Barry beats me to it of course ;)
Orls

Post by Orls »

Ahhh, that's hilarious lads! It sounds like those 'yokes' set the tempers soaring alright! Thanks for the advice and offers. Lorraine has kindly offered me the loan of one as well, which I'm collecting tomorrow and I'll be very intrigued to see Frank's DVDs. As much as I'd always prefer to get out, I was hoping to hop on it a few evenings a week when housebound. We'll see..... the best laid plans and all that ;)
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Orls wrote:Lorraine has kindly offered me the loan of one
WHAT my beloved turbo trainer noooooooooo!!
I hope it brings you the "pleasure" it has brought to my life over the years :D
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Orls wrote: Lorraine has kindly offered me the loan of one as well, which I'm collecting tomorrow
Thank God that

I was on the edge of divorce there for a day when I dared to give away the beloved turbo.... :oops:
lazyboypops

Post by lazyboypops »

Don't worry Orla if the boys don't come up trumps I also have a kicked to death much loved never used turbo that you can have.
Jim o87 2i895i4 jimfurlongatgmail
don

Post by don »

Does that mean no 2013 'Group Turbo Sessions'. :cry: