Half price (or less) goo

Buy, sell, swap, or give away your stuff.
DavidF

Half price (or less) goo

Post by DavidF »

Lately I've a pain in me **** buying Stans Sealant (aka goo). €20 for a pint of the stuff!

And what is it only some latex based mixture with some bits in it to plug punctures

So my tubeless mtb friends, I have done some research and testing and here's the magic.

Buy a litre of liquid latex mould builder. Fairly easy to get, most art shops have it. I bought it online here: http://corkartsupplies.com/ - had it next day.
Get yourself some fine glitter. Yes glitter. Turns out that its good at blocking little holes. Stans uses mica apparently and (as a geologist) I know that it is a non metallic inert mineral which is flaky in nature. So glitter wouldn;t be too far off.
So I used 500ml latex, 250ml Stans (just cos I had it) 250ml of water and a good dash of glitter. Even paying the postage of a fiver for the latex this works out at half the price of the Stans sealant!
Next time I'll just use the latex and glitter and water, costs even less. Apparently you can use antifreeze instead of water as it doesnt evaporate as quickly. Also some alternatives to glitter are finely ground inner tube (grated ?) or fine porridge oats! You get the idea, just need something that will plug a small hole

So there you go, works for me!
DavidT

Re: Half price (or less) goo

Post by DavidT »

Nice one! Always reminded me of Copydex.
Have you driven nails into it yet like the Stans videos? :)
DavidF

Re: Half price (or less) goo

Post by DavidF »

Copydex is sticky $hite. And smelly. And more expensive than Stans.

Haven't driven nails into it but have managed to seal a dodgy rim which has leaked air for the last year.

There'll be some craic covering Mt Leinster in gold glitter next time I get a puncture :D