bike lights

Buy, sell, swap, or give away your stuff.
DavidF

Re: bike lights

Post by DavidF »

Your links are bust Tully [fixed now by Admin]

Anyone know who has my old Lumicycle lights?
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

pjd wrote:Let me know how good they are David C. I'm looking for a set for running and maybe a bit of biking.
OK PJ, I got the light and I've done one MTB spin with it mounted on the bars. The light itself is unreal! 4 settings, Level 1 is adequate for most night time riding. Level 2 will give you all the light you'll ever need for anything and Level 3 is just a bit more insane. Level 4 is a pointless strobe setting. I had my usual Hope spotlight on my helmet, and that's a good light but with new light on full I had to keep checking the Hope one was actually switched on!

I have not tried the new light head-mounted yet. No mounting kit supplied for a helmet but shoud be easy enough to rig something up.
As for running, the light is supplied with an elasticated headband but I think it will be too big and heavy. I'll try it and let you know.

Now for coffee and the London report :D
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

DavidC wrote: Level 4 is a pointless strobe setting.
These yokes are getting a bit like cameras with gazillions of un-needed megapixels

How many lumens does a lad need (even forty something lads with diminishing eyesight ;)
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

BrainY is after ordering these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-5000Lm- ... 3cd534b061 - another set for comparison :)
The 3xT6 is a fuller light than the single T6 - a wider spread of light.

I'd guess that any of these may be too heavy to run with for a longer duration, but I'll test it out with a single T6 soon.
johnd

Post by johnd »

pjd wrote:Let me know how good they are David C. I'm looking for a set for running and maybe a bit of biking.

Are you looking for something for road or trail running?

Doesn't need to be too bright / heavy / expensive for the road

I have a great yoke that takes a single AA battery, is ultra lightweight, has three levels of brightness + a VERY USEFUL strobe setting for attending outdoor rave parties in the woods living for the moment and owning the night (what do you mean you weren't invited DC?? :D )

Seriously though I hardly ever use the brightest setting and would normally get a good 5/6 hours out of a single battery

A Silva Ranger, have gotten 2 years or more out of it with zero problems, great build quality

Can't remember how much but I bought it in the fishing shop in Courtown, here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Ranger-He ... B003BDTZIQ
Generally a fishing shop would be worth a look into if you're close to one, most serious fishermen will be fishing in the dark and need something reliable to make sure they stick the hook in the bait and not their finger

I've bought a few different ones over the years (some of them still work) but this is the only one I've used since I bought it
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

3,800, now 5,000 with Yates.... I feel very last season with me poxy 1,400 :?
BrainY

Post by BrainY »

I wouldn't be paying to much attention to the 5000 lumans i was looking at the battery life and it looked more low profile thwn my origianal light. I'm sure i have a lux meter somewere i'll dig it out and do a little comparison
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

BrianM wrote:3,800, now 5,000 with Yates.... I feel very last season with me poxy 1,400 :?

Don't feel bad Brian, check out Demspey above with his 30 lumen fisherman's rave party light :lol:
don

Post by don »

I'm a total amateur when it comes to lights, but Chain Reactions giving some great discounts today on lights
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/e ... de_%281%29
BrainY

Post by BrainY »

My light arrived this evening if your thinking of getting lights well worth a look