Wicklow Way Relay 2013

All things race-related.
BShaugh

Re: Wicklow Way Relay 2013

Post by BShaugh »

Well done 795s, did us all proud today, hope all enjoyed the day, great event, looking forward to all the individual leg stories , lets hear them! Must have been hot out there. Well done Tracey you ran a well oiled machine!
colm mc grath

Post by colm mc grath »

Folks that is brilliant running. Great result overall well done to each person. Super stuff. Well done Tracey great team captain.
RGough

Post by RGough »

Well done great effort and fantastic result. That was a hot one out there today
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Well done All, Similar (sunny and warm) conditions as last year.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Well done all! :)
niallomuiri

Post by niallomuiri »

Well done everyone, great club preformance
pcoulahan

Post by pcoulahan »

don

Post by don »

Well done everyone, every result was extremely consistent and competitive, you all should be proud.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Great event, looking forward to next year already. Early start but well worth it. Picked up Ross a 5am in Bunclody. Got to the start which was still deserted, wondered if we got the day, start of time wrong. Just before we hit the panic button the mountain goats began to trickle in, and before we knew it the place was full with some serious shapes being thrown. Ross divulged his race preparation secret, as he shared his Freddo Frogs. Who needs gels. The what to wear dilemna followed. It may have been a beautiful day, but a 7am there was still a chill in the air, but with 3km of climbing things would soon warm up.

At exactly 7am after a quiet countdown we were off with the serious mountain goats making a dust trail in their wake. The field soon spread out with the leaders disappearing around the first bend. Lack of race experience. !! How hard do you go out when you know after Glencullen Road 7km there is another 3km climb. Settled in behind a guy (Liam Tilly) who looked like he knew what he was doing. We took a few scalps on the climb. Liam took off like a madman when we began to decent toward the valley and I only got flashes of his back for the remainder of the leg.

The second climb was for about 3km wasn't too severe. Eamon Hodge and I climbed together but same old story he left me on the decent. (Need to work on that) With the end in sight, (mental that is) and the last 2km a gentle downhill I let the legs go as fast at they would, determined not to loose any more places, - ones enough. Unfortunately I got pipped with 100m to go by Crusader. Hindsight is 20/20, didn't start fast enough, reckon there's a few minutes to be shaved off . My watch clocked 1:07:59 which seems about right as Brian McGuckin has a 1:07:58.

Ross was rearing to go when I hit the barrier for the hand off. After a quick change of clothes it was into the car a head for the beautiful Lough Tay to see if the Freddo Frogs had worked for Ross. As I approached the barrier I met up with the ever smiling Joy eager to continue the crusade. Ross arrived bang on time looking a little worse for wear from over 700 metres of climbing. By now the sun was out in its full glory and things were warming up. Time to head toward home after one last stop at Oldbridge. Peter was there when Ross and I arrived flying the Club colors. After the changeover and watching Peter head off toward Green Road to the waiting Orla, it was time for me to head west.

Truly a great team event. My first time on a relay team ever ( It really is never too late to get started) and my only regret is that I wasn't able to stay around, and follow it like the hunt. Next year! We'll all have together for a Team photo at some point in the not too distant future. Lastly Hail our great leader Tracy for pulling it all together. Thanks ;)
BShaugh

Post by BShaugh »

Nice report mike
- lets hear from the rest if ye?! Any difference in your leg this year joy after doing a great marathon time?