Joey Hannan

All things race-related.
pcoulahan

Re: Joey Hannan

Post by pcoulahan »

Another great result by Don in Limerick yesterday. 5th in AG with some impressive swimming and running.

Was that 795's Frank Burke finishing in 2.22hrs?
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

pcoulahan wrote:Was that 795's Frank Burke finishing in 2.22hrs?
and brian o' shaughnessy in 2:16:00 ;)

Great result Don, savage splits. Looks like you've overtaken PJ as the transition king as well...

Well done to Ruairi Gough too - first Olympic distance?
johnd

Post by johnd »

Savage stuff again Don, really shaping up nicely for you

Very nice time Ruari, especially for your first, may have to sew a few weights into your wetsuit for Athy ;)

I thought there were a few more 795'ers going down :?:
Tom, Dena, Jim & Tony?
RGough

Post by RGough »

All,

It was great to get the first Olympic done, the only goal was to finished the race. I don't think I will be going back to sprints. I learned alot and will definitely do a better time in Athy in four weeks.

Well done Don on your time, it was great to have someone else there from the club for support.

Unless Frank, Brian, Jim, Tom and Dena got new club gear, or joined another club, I don't think any of them made it? Correct me if I am wrong.

I will send on a short race report when I get five minutes to write it.

Ruairi
don

Post by don »

Greetings. Wow that was a tough day at the office. Well the day started off with big shower during the race briefing and a quick scamper to the pool where the Race Director stated that the bike was 3km shorter due to health & safety reasons, (just before anyone thinks that my 1:07 bike time was as a result of a recent Lance Armstrong leg transplant). Although with 50 mph gusts on the bike out, that was a very welcome statement. The race started off with the 50 metre Swim in the fabulous UL Sports Arena with 12 people/lane, which is very difficult police and get right. In fact pacing is the biggest issue here, one guy that started off 10th out of 11 in my lane had passed everyone by the fourth length and was then lapped twice before we finished and four people passed me in the first four lengths only for me to pass them all again before I was even halfway. So the start of the race wasn't as smooth as I had expected and lost some time due to being stopped, but once I got clear the second half of the race was great. Transition was right next to the exit of the pool, well marshalled resulting in a quick turn around, so I was out on the bike in no time. Suddenly we exited the campus, rounded the first corner and bang, the wind hit you. My average outward speed was 25 km/hr and that peaked at 30km/hr once on a steep downhill section. Considering my average race speed was 35 km/hr, the outward section wasn't for the faint hearted. Unfortunately upon re-entering the UL Campus, the dismount line seemed to present difficulties for the stewards due to a sharp corner, a few ramps and a pedestrian crossing but I managed a smooth dismount and after free-wheeling home on the bike my legs felt good. The run was great, pretty much a flat fast course around the UL Campus with only a minor drag to the finish line and I really burned up the kilometres with a 41.31 record breaking run. All in all a very well organised race, well worth the trip and value for money. Thanks to Ruari for the support and a huge congrats to finishing his first triathlon. Another PB so I was a happy man. We missed the rest of ye, It's well worth the travel next year if you want a good fast race.
pjd

Post by pjd »

Well done guys great going
frankb

Post by frankb »

Well done Ruairi and Don - No it must have been a different Frank Burke, sur i'd have a shorter time than Brian O'S, so surprised you even thought it was me ;) :!:

Savage runtime Don. Ruairi you must be delighted with first olympic.

Don - interested in your comment re: free wheeling on bike before run. Is it better to spin or freewheel before going out on run?
joy

Post by joy »

Well done lads sounds like a great days outing. No doubt there is more in the bag from ye both, now ye have the open water season to look forward to.
lazyboypops

Post by lazyboypops »

great results guys well done. I chickened out at the last moment - not enough training etc etc the usual excuses for just being too lazy.
Jim o87 2i895i4 jimfurlongatgmail