Dublin marathon

All things race-related.
BShaugh

Re: Dublin marathon

Post by BShaugh »

Initial report on website
http://racing795.com/2014/10/28/dublin- ... thon-2014/

Well done all. Please give us your race reports - best way for us all to learn!
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Pacing.
That's the rock that I hit. Trying to work out what pace to run the marathon was always on my mind for 18 weeks.  In the end I based my decision on two things - half marathon pace and Yasso 800s theory. I'd never do it again - assuming pace based on a theory.

Another great hindsight moment that I had adequate time in the second half of the marathon to think about was cramp avoidance.

I know about lactate threshold when it comes to cycling. I use electrolytes all the time,  but they'll only get you so far when you're in the red. I stopped wearing the heart rate monitor while running after the friction from it burned me,  but it would have called out what I was ignoring - I was going too fast.

I won't follow a pacer again. I had planned to run 4:58min/km to finish around 3:30, 5:15 - 5:20min/km on inclines and 4:40 declines where needed. Because I was with a pacer I ignored my splits,  which were 15 secs/km quicker.
Weather looked windy and so I opted for a group.  It helped but was still wide open in the Phoenix Park.

Nike Pegasus runners are small fitting - you'll be down toenails with them.

I ran this marathon as If it was my last - should have run it like it was my first :)

Things that worked well -

Support from 795 was fantastic - pre, race day,  post; in Dublin and online. I knew I had people watching out for me and I really appreciated it. After the marathon I had more than 100 messages across viber, email, text, facebook..

The jersey - no matter what pain I was in I didn't want to quit. Part of that was down to the 795 jersey. I've fallen off bikes in it in the past and will do again no doubt but I did not want to fail to finish no matter what. To date I have no DNFs.

Have to say I had a great first half of a marathon! The world flew by and there were more water stops than I needed. I past anyone I met or kept pace with them. Time flew by. We collectively roared going under bridges and flyovers - "the 3:30".
Then I crashed hard.

Imodium worked well when the caffeine gel did a dance in my stomach.

If you're doing a marathon, phone me. I'll give you a warts and all version of it - then tell you you've made the right decision :)
Last edited by DavidT on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Respect Tully, took real character to finish after the wheels came off. Good honest report.
frankb

Post by frankb »

Fair play Tul

A great honest report and one i certainly learned from. It's easier to give up than to finish when the red mist comes down, but you choose not too. Bank the experience and mentally you know now you have what it takes.

Hats off to all who took part and as Shaughs reported, ye did the club proud. I always think it's worth putting what you learned on this forum because you are always helping others, so folks don't be shy!
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Fair play Tully

Your day will come!
Mike

Post by Mike »

The truth be told I’ve never really had a flaming desire to run a marathon or do an Ironman or technically a Long Distance Triathlon as Roth wasn’t an Ironman branded event, but looked what happened there. After getting over the line fairly successfully in Germany I was inspired to give a lone marathon a shot. Having walked nearly all the water stations in in Roth, I think I was curious to know how much time if any I could shave off in Dublin. Working Jim’s formula in reverse. “To calculate your IM marathon time. Normal marathon time + 1 Hour.” To run a 3:10 marathon would require a 4:30 Km/min pace for 42Km….not realistic.

With a fairly decent foundation from the IM training Dublin seemed a good option. Took a week off when I got home from Germany and then up to Malin Head for our annual trip north. I had no interest in bringing the bike this year as I normally do, a pair of runners is much earlier to transport.
I got a plan from Mr Google, tweaked it a bit to suit and the marathon dream was in action. The first few weeks went well, and then a silly stumble on the treadmill, and plantar fasciitis raised its ugly head. Rest and physio ….marathon dream looking very doubtful. Finally got back running again but volume and pace way down. Plan changed to making sure I got my long runs in during September and one 10k midweek run. Taper sorted.
Race Day
Got up to Dublin around 7:30 am. Parked just off the canal and followed the blue bags into the start line. Eithne, Shauna and her friend Saoirse consisted of my support crew. Great atmosphere in around the start. The temperature was 16 degrees. I decided to wear a t-shirt but in hindsight a singlet would have been more than adequate. I wore a second t-shirt and hoodie which I discarded them.

The Plan.
The most common piece of advice I read pre-marathon was to go out slow, pace yourself, don’t burn out too early, conflicting with go out hard and build up a cushion and then just get home from 20 miles. I opted for the first . Stick to just under 5:00 km/min pace for the first 32 km or so, build up a small cushion of a min or so and do the last 10km in 52 minutes or thereabouts. This should get me across the line in 3:30 or close enough. Plan B. If the PF acts up abandon ship and get a taxi back to the car and go home.

The first few km flew by, the city was lined with people and I couldn’t believe the crowd support. The first 5k went to plan, sub 25 minutes, got a great scream of encouragement from Joy and Kate as we hit the Liffey and again from Nigel in Phoenix Park. Little bit of a drag from Hueston Station and the Park was a little windy so we tucked in behind a few big guys. I was fortunate to have got talking to a Clonmel Tri Club member, David Hogan at the start area who had a similar plan so we decided to join forces and run together to 35 km and at that point re-evaluate our partnership. This made the run much more enjoyable as we exchanged banter for almost the entire race. Any distraction be it from the noise of the crowd, chatting to fellow runners or giving high fives to the many kids who were out supporting us makes it that little bit more enjoyable. It also makes you realise how fortunate you are to be out there running. The Park was a great section of the course, very flat and very scenic, and of course the pain had not really kicked in to any great extent, that would come later. Went over the 10km mat in 50:08, so far so good, early days yet. The water stops were regular and the friendly helpers gave us our much needed liquid refreshment in the form of 250mm Tipperary Water. Always a pleasant surprise to get a bottle and not a plastic cup. No Lucozade Sports drinks were available until 15 km or no High 5 gels available until 21 km.

Went through half 1:44:13. This, I felt was a little bit slow if 3:30 was still to be a possibility. Stepped up the pace a little for the next 10 Km and went through 30 km after clawing back another valuable minute. Shortly after half way somewhere on Crumlin Road I spotted the 795 Colours being proudly flown by David Tully who at that point was looking strong and composed. We exchanged a few words and parted company.

The Lucozade Wall of support at 35 km was very well positioned. It was mid-way up a nice little dig just before turning into Fosters Avenue. The crowd support was incredible and pushed you up the hill. This was the first time I felt any real pain and the next km was needed for the legs to recover a bit. All went to ok until 40 km. This is where the lack of training took its toll, the quads seemed to have turned to lead and it was almost impossible hard as I tried to lift the legs and maintain my target pace. The last 2 km went on forever and on turning the corner off Shelbourne Road onto Haddington Road, it looked like someone was after re-locating Mt Everest. I think that was the steepest hill I have ever run up in my life, if my leaden legs were to be believed.

The streets were covered with people shouting encouragement “You’re nearly there”. And you know you are, but you want to stop and walk but it’s not really an option. “, The burning flames of hell would be too good for the man who added 150 metres onto the end of that race; I will curse him for all eternity. Coming up the home straight my Garmin insisted the marathon distance was complete even though the finish gantry was still in the distance. Who was I to argue, struggle on.

It was indeed a satisfying moment to cross that red strip and hear the pleasant sound of the beep. Crossed the line in 3:30:37. It was a very enjoyable race, loved every second of it. The 795 support was incredible and really appreciated, The Tully gang, Kate and Joy, Fintan and Tracy and Nigel The sight of a familiar face on the course and sound of a familiar voice really does lift the spirit and makes the whole experience that bit more enjoyable. Thanks for the support.

I was very fortunate to have met David Hogan from Clonmel. Two heads are better than one, we helped keep to our goal pace. Not sure if I would have been as disciplined if I had run solo. Also the company makes the marathon distance easier to cope with. I weighed myself in the am before we left and again when we arrived home. I lost 2.9Kg. Surprised at this as grabbed a bottle at every water station and drank most of it. Took one gel at 37 km , looking back probably should have taken anther on at 39-40 km to get me over the line. Think there is no easy way to overcome the bruised toe and nail loss; it seems to be part of the experience. The adhesive support I put on my foot to help support the PF worked really well. I did put it on a little tight and suffered a little because of it, a fantastic product, highly recommended.

Finally.It’s all about pace. Put a plan in place and stick to it as best you can. At the start of the race 5 km/min seems like way too slow, whereas at 40 km it’s a whole different story. I took my Half Marathon time 1:32:30 doubled it and added 20 min and added a 5 min injury margin and came up with 3:30:00.

They say that after the marathon you swear you’ll never do one again but then the pain subsides and you’re left with the feeling of accomplishment. Tis true.
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

Very well done to all.
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Well done lads great reports
johnd

Post by johnd »

Well done lads, great racing and super reports
Bad luck on the blow out David, I know that feeling from my last marathon, horrible
Great pacing Mike; nice, consistent and controlled

Dublin always reads like a great experience with the crowd, there might be one more marathon in me yet reading all these reports ;)
don

Post by don »

Great honest reports guys, quite inspiring too, well done all round