Wicklow Way Relay 2013

All things race-related.
johnd

Wicklow Way Relay 2013

Post by johnd »

Entries for this years race open 1st April and will likely sell out that day or the next
The race is on Saturday 25th May
I'm not going to be able to do it this year (communion day) but am happy to help organise with someone else if you want and there's enough interest for a team

So basically if people want to race they need to get enough names together and get the application form along with cheque payment off for April 1st

Over to you
joy

Re: Wicklow Way Relay 2013

Post by joy »

Thanks John for bring this to our attention, you are right there is a lot of interest in this race this year and some fantastic running( results from Carlow 10km to day put 795 on the map) been done from a lot of our members.

Lots of mountain running on Kilbranish and other places , so plenty of experience, Its not my place to put names forward but I am tempted :D
Those people know who they are and should make themselves known(honestly no pressure lads) I know at least three ladies and five if not six men who like this type of terrain and have been seen slogging it out locally and I believe Bree hill gets a beating or two regularly. It would be a great team challenge for our Ozzy friends and an opportunity to take in breathtaking scenery. Its Ireland at its best( well after kerry and clare of course)
Not to mention others who run regularly (ish) Barry oops... and others ( I should name them really) in the golf club who love abit of adventure and something different. And then we have the ferns duo..... Jasus I'd say we could possibly be fighting for places this year or perhaps field two teams :P .

Someone let Paul Hutton know cos I am not sure if he reads the forum, his mate Larry dug us out of a hole last year and ran a storming leg, maybe they both will make a come back.
So come on lads and lassies mark your interest but be quick places on this relay might fill quicker than hell of the west.

For those that did not compete last year it really is a great team challenge and fantastic race to do, it took a lot of organising from John last year and I have to say John you will be sorely missed from the team this race. :(
f redmond

Post by f redmond »

Put my name down, was raging i didn't enter it last year, was a great day for both runners and spectators.
pcoulahan

Post by pcoulahan »

I'd like to give this a go this year if you need an aulfella to make up the numbers.

If I can help in any way John let me know.
t redmond

Post by t redmond »

I would like to do this again this year, as Joy has already said it was a great event last year.

But if other Ladies want to give it a go they can have first preference. I am available to give a helping hand in organizing the event.
Orls

Post by Orls »

Hi John and everyone,
Thanks for bringing this up. This sounds like a fab event and I'm really keen to do a bit of off road running. Unfortunately, Dean is away that weekend but I'll find a babysitter and throw my hat in the ring to be a part of the team if needed. Equally, I am more than happy to help serve as support crew on the day. Running can be a solitary pursuit at times, so a team event like this would be amazing.
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm just thinking about Martin all the time....... Though I didn't know him well, I have a feeling he'd have loved this momentum that is building.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Nice response there so far lads :)
Really really gutted not to be able to go, but I've an eight year Goddaughter that will never forgive me if I miss her big day!!

Here are the two threads from last year: http://www.racing795forum.com/home/view ... ?f=3&t=865 &
http://www.racing795forum.com/home/view ... ?f=6&t=990 (this one is on member forum so needs a log in)

We had a fantastic day out, great craic and a super super result with 4th place last year. This is a brilliant race but needs a bit of prep and commitment. Everyone racing needs to have recced their route in full at least once. Tom ran a stormer last year but lost a good 10 mins by taking a wrong turn (didn't have any effect on overall position).

There are several different permutations on team make up but I would suggest that we send 1 team and make it the full 8 people. That means 8 people, with 2 people 40 years or over by year end and 2 females, and a free choice of 4.

The team also needs a captain, I am happy to help that person if they need help sorting out a few of the bits and pieces around the race (if you're really stuck (really) I could do captain as non-runner but might be best if a runner does it?).

The important thing at this stage is to get a list of names together and form a team. Then someone needs to start worrying about getting the entry form off in the first post April 1st (3 weeks on Monday).

So have we 8 people wanting to race and willing to travel to Wicklow to recce routes between now and the end of May?
Anyone want to do captain?
BShaugh

Post by BShaugh »

Feck feck feck. Signed up for the enniscorthy half already same weekend. :( . It changed date this year
This was a great event last year
t redmond

Post by t redmond »

Hi Guys, just wondering if we are going to put a team together for the relay this year.

It was a real success last year. I have no problem organising the entry details for the race(hopefully with John's guidance).

Come on lets get a team together and enjoy the day. Brain I know you really, really want to give it another go.

Entry needs to be in by the 1 April, so lets get some names...
johnd

Post by johnd »

so far then that's 5 people:

Joy
Fintan
Peter
Tracy
Orla

Without giving away any state secrets or anything, that's both "F" slots and both "O40" slots filled, so a free choice on the remaining three

It is the week before triathy which i see a lot of the club members are targeting so fair enough if people are reluctant to commit, timing wouldn't be great for that

Anyway, if ye want to do this race you have one week to sort a team out lads

You could do it with the team ye have and have some people do 2 legs, but it would be a fierce tough ask imo