marathon training

All things race-related.
afoley

marathon training

Post by afoley »

i've signed up to do the prague marathon on may 9th. is anyone else doing a marathon this year? it'd be good to have someone to link in with for training tips and also maybe long runs at the weekends????
BarryB

Re: marathon training

Post by BarryB »

might be thinking about dublin this year but I'd be on a different time scale as its in oct. you should check out this makes interesting reading
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/t ... /2493.html
lazyboypops

Post by lazyboypops »

I did a couple of marathons last year and would be happy to pass on some tips. I think the key is to build up your long runs slowly aiming to be up to about 30k three or four weeks before the event. Take these runs very easy and keep plenty of time for recovery. I'd be happy to run with you but maybe not that distance. Probably the best way is to get somebody to meet you after 10 or 15k. Any questions you have give me a call. Jim
Jim o87 2i895i4 jimfurlongatgmail
afoley

Post by afoley »

thanks for that lads- training commences tomorrow!
joy

Post by joy »

I have hopes to do one later in the year, a lot of ground to make up , but would be happy to join you on some of you long runs. good luck with the training.
Dena

Post by Dena »

Link posted by Barry looks good, it follows the general rule of marathon training that you drop your long run back every 4th week (very important). I wouldn't get caught up to much into the distances of speed sessions do, their for people with nice tartan running tracks. Instead replace 400's with 2 min 800's with 4 min etc. and use same time recovery between each rep. Also if you have the time I'd try getting up to 22-24 miles. The lads with the best marathons in the running club usually go above the distance, Conaill Cooper did two 28's last year and the year before and ran 2.40 & 2.41 while Dashy Sullivan ran 27 - 28 every third or forth week and has a P.B of 3.36.
Tom
afoley

Post by afoley »

will bear all that in mind tom, thanks!
joy, let me know if you wanna hook up for a run, i'll prob need a change of scenery in a few weeks so could come over your side of the county! monday, wednesday, friday after 4pm and long runs on a sunday prob in the mornings.
joy

Post by joy »

Hi ya, that all sounds good,I am usually in Gorey Wed and thurs at around 4pm and every second friday so it could work out well. In the mean time i will work on building up the mileage!
afoley

Post by afoley »

great!, well send a text any day you wanna run- tryin to get used to running without my ipod so would be glad of the company!
Siobhan

Post by Siobhan »

Hey Aisling, meant to get you the other night- are you all set for your marathon-
hope training's going well :)