Butchers block Duathlon - Punchestown 17th January 2016

All things race-related.
Jarlath

Butchers block Duathlon - Punchestown 17th January 2016

Post by Jarlath »

We were blessed with reasonably good weather, the rain held off but there was a slight breeze which grew during the event. I arrived around 10.45am and signed in.

At approx 12md, I started to warm up and briefing took place between 12.15-12.25pm. Met with Fintan and Tracy, exchanged a few words and the event kicked off at 12.30pm.

It consisted of a 3.2k lap of the Punchestown Racecourse on the Ambulance road. It was slightly undulating and we were met with a breeze on the back straight which added to the effort. I found the run tough, with a lot of good competitors there who took off at speed. I suffered a bit on this lap and was feeling it getting into T1.

Transition was well laid out and very spacious. The bike leg is 19.6k and is an out and back course to the outskirts of Blessington. It is a tough cycle out to Blessington in that it is a gradual climb the whole way, but in return, it’s heaven on the way back with the majority of it downhill. The roads were damp and quite sticky, but there was plenty of bike traffic and always a competitor to aim for. I felt stronger on the bike than usual and made up some places during this leg.

Back into transition and out on the final lap, 3.2k, of the racecourse again. My lack of brick sessions really told for the first km as I skipped along with both calve muscles taking turns to cramp. I didn’t stop but was passed by three competitors early on. After this, the legs settled down and I started to regain my running ability and my pace improved for the last KM. Pleased to have the first event of 2016 out of the way and finish in an 1hr & 6 mins to place me in the top 40.

For anybody thinking of an early season event, the Butchers Block in Naas is highly recommended. It is a very well run event, with a friendly atmosphere. It is competitive near the front and relaxed towards the end so any newcomer should not be intimidated by it. There are two further events in this series on the 21st February and 27th March and I believe entries are still available on active.com at €25 a race. Hope to see some of ye fellow 795ers on the next one.
MickF

Re: Butchers block Duathlon - Punchestown 17th January 2016

Post by MickF »

Well done Jarlath, hope to make the next two but I will be at the relaxed end of the race.