Athy Duathlon

All things race-related.
Patsymc

Athy Duathlon

Post by Patsymc »

Hey was just wondering if anyone else is heading to the Athy Duathlon on Sunday , I'm going to do the first one of the series and see from there , I've done zero running in the last few months (as usual) so should be interesting .
niallomuiri

Re: Athy Duathlon

Post by niallomuiri »

Patsy..Nigel McC is travelling I think xx
NMcCord

Post by NMcCord »

Yes I will be attending this . Havent done any transition training so it's going to cost me . Hope the weather is on our side . Bike route is flat .
MickF

Post by MickF »

Travelling up myself hopefully, Nigel & Patsy have taken all good excuses so I may think of something before Sunday
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

Good stuff I'll see you lads there , Mick I'll help you out with an excuse . It's my speciality :-)
carr16v

Post by carr16v »

Myself and Aine will be doing this one. The things ye sign up for with drink taken. :shock:
frankb

Post by frankb »

Give it socks tomorrow folks. Enjoy it an lookin foward to the report (excuses) :D
MickF

Post by MickF »

Was hoping someone else would do the report but he it goes while it is still fresh in my mind.

Managed to make it to this race after a few false starts to the season this year, arrived up in Athy and met Nigel, Keith and Aine all chomping at the bit to get going, registered and set up the bike in transition, it was very windy but I decided to leave the disc wheel on the TT bike, mostly because I was too lazy to change it. I looked at all the other bikes and could only see one other disc, too late now I thought and at least I won't be bored on the bike.

I decided to warm up by jogging the first 600m of the course which was on grass, the surface was very soft and I felt worse than I normally do while running and I thought to myself, this is going to be a disaster and I really should have went home earlier from that 40th birthday party Friday night. Went back to the start and met Nigel who had the same experience on the soft surface. This made me feel a bit better but still not too confident of finishing.

After the race briefing we lined up and were off, took my time on the grass while the lads all disappeared into the distance and it was onto the road for about a km and then onto a gravel lane to the turnaround point, Tom Hogan had opened up a big lead when I met him but unfortunately he suffered a mechanical on the bike which ended his race, Patsy, Nigel & Keith were looking fresh when I met them as I plodding along to T1. As usual there was no problem finding my bike as there were very few left in transition.

I should have been concerned when a few Marshalls told me to be careful with those wheels as I set off but the first few km's were fine and I was making my way past quite a few cyclists, then the road opened up and the crosswinds started to throw the bike around a bit but I was feeling okay and I spotted Nigel's 795 jersey in the distance so I couldn't ease off, Met Patsy absolutely flying back and we gave each other shout, then shortly after the turnaround I passed Nigel but the wind was very strong at this stage, Nigel remarked later that he saw me cycling away leaning at a 45 degree angle into the crosswind. The bike course was a flat 24km but I was starting to struggle for the last few km's as the wind never seemed to be any assistance and the combination of rain on the outside and sweat on the inside of my visor made visibility fairly poor but was happy enough with my time of around 42 minutes.

Into T2 and off on the dreaded second run, again my legs refused to work on the grass but kept going thanks to Trish's shouts of support and the fact that she said that Nigel was just behind me. Met Patsy heading back well up the field and he would finish 15th overall while I was plodding along at my usual snail's pace, then I met Nigel just after the turnaround, he looked like he was suffering a bit but still smiling. I was glad to see the finish line in a time of 1.13.23. Nigel came in less than a minute later and Keith completed his first duathlon a few minutes later.

Overall it was a good day out having the banter with the lads and I was glad to get the first race of the season over, I intend to do the other two races in this series and would recommend these for anyone that would like to try their first duathlon as the course is flat and well marshalled and hopefully it won't be as windy the next time.
frankb

Post by frankb »

Good man mick and thanks for the report. Tough aul conditions
niallomuiri

Post by niallomuiri »

Well done Mick..great report..any photos...send them on please