Open water swim race - Dunmore East

All things race-related.
Elainegib

Open water swim race - Dunmore East

Post by Elainegib »

Myself & Kevin are going to do this one to try and shake a few of my open water nerves :shock: if anyone is interested in joining us. You can do any or all of the swims [for the same price of 25 euro], not sure how that works on the day, whether there is much of a gap between the races... It's a good cause too...

DUNMORE EAST RNLI OPEN WATER SWIM
​29th May 2016
Start: 12 noon (registration 9.30-11.00)

Race distances:
a. 500m Dunmore East RNLI Open Water Swim
b. 750m Dunmore East RNLI Open Water Swim
c. 1500m Dunmore East RNLI Open Water Swim
d. Participants can select any or all of above distances

http://www.athleticstiming.com/dunmore- ... -swim.html
don

Re: Open water swim race - Dunmore East

Post by don »

Might be interested in this Elaine. Will let you know closer to the event.
paulh

Post by paulh »

I think I'll give it a go aswel, not sure which distance but am sure it won't be all three.
paulh

Post by paulh »

Entered
niallomuiri

Post by niallomuiri »

Any photos..report...anything?
Elainegib

Post by Elainegib »

This was a really nice event!! Would recommend it for next year. Representing 795 was myself, Kevin, Paul H., Peter and Eimear. For the 25 euro you could enter one or two or all of the events which were 1500m, 750m & 500 and they were run in that order with about 15 min break before the start of the next one. Goody bag too was decent too...considering it was a charity event [for the RNLI]. Lovely soup and bread after each race. Great atmosphere about & the weather was a great bonus!

All of us did the 1500 and myself and Kevin also did the 750 [I think Peter did all three, just didn't get to see him after]. It was a beautiful sunny day so it was flat calm and no current to deal with. It was cold at 11 degrees...but felt grand after 5 minutes. Eimear and myself were fairly jittery before the start [my first swim outdoors this year] and if the lads were nervous they weren't letting on!! Kevin was very brave and swam without the wetsuit for both events! Peter said he was planning on doing the 500 without also. Mass start so a bit congested at the start from the slipway [about 200 participants per event] but now I'm happy that I don't mind getting my goggles kicked off my head, punched in the arm and dragged under by my ankles :-) That's good experience I think! We all came in between 28 mins and 35 for the 1500m. The winner was in a bit over 19 minutes.

Such a beautiful venue, you couldn't go wrong. Great day out for the kids too.

Sorry I only have a photo of the venue and a photo of 3 of us...missing Paul and Peter...
dunmoreeast.jpg
dunmoreeast.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 6120 times
dunmoreeast2.png
dunmoreeast2.png (1 MiB) Viewed 6120 times
BShaugh

Post by BShaugh »

Well done all and thanks for the report Elaine. Sounds like a great event