bike advise

General MTB or Triathlon related discussions. Or anything else you fancy.
Lou Lou

bike advise

Post by Lou Lou »

Still reasonably new to triathlons over the last 2 yrs i have picked up new bits along the way as this sport can be quiet pricey, so have road bike wetsuit tri suit good runners watch etc but because im quiet a nervous cyclist :oops: i have put off getting cycling shoes/proper pedals so im one of the runners on the bike gals not good i know, cycling would b least favourite behid running and swimming but i def need to do more, any advise on what pedals/shoes to buy would be appreciated, its mind boggling all the info out there :? , i want the easiest pedal to get in and out of!! should i go with tri or road shoe?? anyting i should avoid etc All advise welcome coz i def want to get on the road and join some group cycles and get the love for cycling :|
thanks louise
pjd

Re: bike advise

Post by pjd »

Lou I have just one pair of cycling shoes there a tri specific shoe with one strap.
Thats the main difference between road and tri shoes.
I use them for all cycling and they are 4 yrs old and will last another 4 hopefully.

The main thing is to get shoes and pedals that match. Some shoes will only work with certain pedals.

I have shimano tr 31 shoes and look keo pedals.
Look cleats come in 3 floats. Grey colour cleat is bestto start with.
Best thing is to buy in your local bike shop

Ps I have a voucher for revolve in Gorey if interested in doing a deal :D
johnd

Post by johnd »

Hi Louise
You should consider getting the tri specific shoes like PJ said
The strap is single instead of 2/3 making it quicker and easier to fasten during a race, however slight downside is that they won't be quite as snug fitting as cycling specific shoes (3 straps = more adjustment)
Also the strap on a tri shoe opens the opposite direction to a road shoe, this means that when you progress to having your shoes ready to go on the bike the straps won't get caught up in the chain
Also tri shoes tend to have 1/2 holes in the sole so that the water from the swim runs out easier - great when belting down the road in a tri in July, not so good when feet are freezing in winter!! To be fair though you'll want some type of overshoes and two pairs of socks in winter whether you get road or tri shoes as both types will have lots of ventilation around the toes.
The look pedals are most common and you should follow PJ's advise on that, but also check out some of the different types on display at Sundays bike spin.
Remember that you will buy the shoes and pedals separately, and that the cleats will come with the pedals not with the shoes, make sure the shoes and cleats are compatible.
Finally, remember that you will fall over several times at least before you get used to unclipping at junctions /lights/ anywhere else you have to stop :D don't be too embarrassed about it
Good luck and go for it
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

Louise you should check out Lorraines setup on Sunday if you're out, she is not interested in having shoes already clipped into the bike and says she never will. So the alternative we came up with were casual mountain bike shoes with laces, the advantages are 1 she replaced the laces with elastic ones making them easy to get on and off, 2 they are flat on the bottom as in no cleat exposed so easy to run in 3 spd cleats are very easy to pop in and out of the pedals far easier than road shoes. Just another option for you, Lorraine uses them for all her cycling and they work perfect
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

don

Post by don »

Hi Louise, welcome to Triathlon choices (confusion). Oh to return to the simple days where you hopped onto your bike, picked an impossibly hard gear and grind it for Ireland. Now I could do a thesis on angular down force, optimum pedal efficiency bla bla bla.....

I have the exact same setup as PJ and it works great for me. However I have to say Barry's advice is very well worth considering and is quite simple to operate. Definitely go for that and if you ever feel the need to perform a running bike mount (which I've had lots of mishaps with) then consider our setup, but I suspect you won't. Happy cycling and enjoy most of all.
lazyboypops

Post by lazyboypops »

Hi Louise, Ciara uses the same setup as Lorraine, mtb shoes and cleats. They have the big advantage of being easy to get out of quickly and as Barry says, the shoes are easy to run in.

I've often used them myself in triathlon, and find them ideal especially where you dont want to risk leaving your shoes on your bike and running barefoot to and from the transition area.

Ive used elastic lock laces in the past and they work really well for putiing on and taking off your shoes.

Unfortunately Ciara or I won't be out on Sunday but if your at the social/ironman talk on Friday night we will be there.
Jim o87 2i895i4 jimfurlongatgmail
afoley

Post by afoley »

I have a pair of shimano road shoes going a begging size EU 39-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31705

I havn't replaced my stolen bike and won't be for a while and i'm gonna pop out a bambino in the next few weeks so don't think i'll be using them for a while!!!!- you are welcome to try them until you get used to them or decide what exactly you're looking for- ie tri specific or just road- I have used these for a tri but was never bothered about transition times so suited me! . you'd have to get compatible cleats but that shudn't be a problem- they havn't gotten a huge amount of use so are in really good nick. let me know if want them- you're more than welcome to em!
Lou Lou

Post by Lou Lou »

Thank u soooo much 4 all your information it's all great, pj when I'm buying we can def do a deal with d voucher if they hav wat I'm looking 4 I have never been in d bike shop in gorey but im going 2 try call up next week
Tanx Lorraine n Barry that might b d option 4 me!!!
I did buy shimano spd pedal n I ordered tri shoes from wiggle but they r out of stock so I hav pedals n no shoes so
Afoley I wud love 2 try shoes just 2 c can I get d grips off using d shoes or just opt 4 mbt option I'm size 39 also
Don confused is an understatement
I'll b at talk fri night so I can torment ye with more ???then
I'd love 2 join ye 4 cycle 2morro but Im only just back on d bike recently since gealforce last august!!!!so I know I wud b way behind hopefully soon I can join ye
afoley

Post by afoley »

you'll need to collect if that's okay- i'm based in gorey - gimme a ring/txt on 0eightseven 26two1fourthreenine