South Leinster Way by mtb

General MTB or Triathlon related discussions. Or anything else you fancy.
DavidF

South Leinster Way by mtb

Post by DavidF »

I am intending to do the South Leinster Way this summer by mtb.

The SLW is a walking route measuring 102km that stretches from Kildavin to Carrick-on-Suir. The route is Kildavin-Borris-Graiguenamanagh-Inistioge-Mullinavat-Piltown-Carrick-on-Suir.

The route is approx 70% off road (mostly fire road), 30% rural roads. There are some tough climbs, notably to Mt Brandon, but nothing we are not used to. Some nice scenic flat sections too eg Borris-Graigue is along the Barrow tow-path.

Here's more details on the route http://www.carlowtourism.com/default.aspx?id=44&mid=70

This will be an all day epic, good pace when on the bike with a nice long lunch in Graigue or Inistioge. Don't know how long it will take, expect 5/6/7 hrs.

What to do at the end? Well i'm thinkingof staying the night in Carrick and having a few celebratory scoops?

So who is on for it? I am proposing Saturday 7th August but am open to suggestions if I have some company
DavidC

Re: South Leinster Way by mtb

Post by DavidC »

I'm in. Are we cycling back on the Sunday? Or are we relying on our other halves to come and get us?
afoley

Post by afoley »

i'd love to do it! is it weather dependent or just go and battle whatever conditions we get?
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

DavidC wrote:I'm in. Are we cycling back on the Sunday? Or are we relying on our other halves to come and get us?
the latter ;)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

afoley wrote:i'd love to do it! is it weather dependent or just go and battle whatever conditions we get?
since when is mtb weather dependent.... we've spent the last four winters slopping around in the muck ! sure that's half the crack :)

seriously though, hopefully it will be good. suppose we could put it off a week if we had to
pjd

Post by pjd »

yeah might give it a go. I walked it years ago in my unfit days and dont remember anything to tough ;)
johnd

Post by johnd »

Sounds like it'd be great craic
(I'll ignore the burning calves for the minute :))
Need to do a few of those summer league hill climbs first though I reckon but count me in
Honestly - I never knew the south leinster way existed
BarryB

Post by BarryB »

would be well up for this
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Sounds excellent - though I'll wait and see what the fitness level is like by then.
Over the handlebars again last night.. :) Made for a slow swim this morning!
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

well it looks like I won't be on my own anyway :)

remember now that this is 102k of mostly off-road with 1600m of climbing - you have been warned!

would suggest that those of you that haven't been out on a sunday morning mtb spin and intend to do this should come along to get a feel for the pace

looking forward to it immensely