Best of luck Orla O'Leary...

General MTB or Triathlon related discussions. Or anything else you fancy.
johnd

Re: Best of luck Orla O'Leary...

Post by johnd »

Good luck Orla, Dean & gang, you were fierce popular in the short year you were here, hopefully meet up again at some stage
An Ironman in 2020?? I dunno, doesn't seem like long enough to train! ;)
joy

Post by joy »

Boy but that year has flown by has nt it! But so so much packed into it and an amazing opportunity to try new things and all the Thompson family certainly did.Who will forget little Luke and his super golf swing pottering around ardattin, we will keep a watchful eye out for him ,the up and coming Tiger Woods! Beautiful Alannah as she danced around dressed up to the nines in gowns and jewels galore and Liam who will now be seeking out a hurling team down under , I hear his hurl is a must to go home with along with his wexford jersey. And so its to Mr and Mrs, what a great pair ye make and yes we were v fortunate to have you both in the club, you gave so much we hope you got it back ten fold. Personally Its being a huge pleasure to have spent time with ye, from those cold mornings to sunshine days. Thanks for the encouragement, support , advice and friendship, where to now for my own personal coach? Keep that email on fastdial it could be busy. Have a safe trip home and a happy reunion with Dean. :P
BShaugh

Post by BShaugh »

Orla - you really have been a shot in the arm for the club with a love for sport, having a go and competition that has been fantastic to see.

You've left a mark with everyone in the club and I wouldn't be the first person to say how sorry I am to see yourself and Dean heading back to Oz. Racing795 has been the big winner in having you home for a few months and hopefully we'll see you back for a while in the not too distant future.

Best of luck to yourself, Dean and the kids - would love to hear how the training and racing is going.

Brian
f redmond

Post by f redmond »

Best of luck Orla,

Have to agree with everyone your energy and enthusiasm is wonderful and will be missed. Hopefully Tracy and myself will get to do a few more races with you down under :D. Will keep in touch.
colm mc grath

Post by colm mc grath »

The very best of luck Orla. You were a pleasure to know. Great company on the spins and the runs. I wish you Dean and the kids the very best of luck in the future and hopefully our paths will cross soon. Take care and safe trip back to oz.
frankb

Post by frankb »

Orla and Dean, the impact ye have made in this club, in the camogie club and in the golf club is amazing and unprecedented in such a short time. All the compliments are testament to that. Not much more I can add to what's already said, other than to say ye will be really missed but not easily forgotten. Fire up an aul post every so often letting us know how ye are getting on. Bon voyage!
Lou Lou

Post by Lou Lou »

The v best of luck orla and kids on your trip home it was lovely to meet ye both and your love for sport and club comradarie was amazing in such a short space of time!!!!!
Best wishes for the future and we will see ye hopefully if ye get home
take care best wishes
louisex
ragingbill-74

Post by ragingbill-74 »

Best of luck Orla. Hopefully we'll see ya out there in May.
Orls

Post by Orls »

Hello my friends,
Well, even clicking through to the 795 forum link has brought back a huge wave of memories from our time back in Bunclody. I miss it! Its very true when they say you don't know what you have till its gone. And though I realised during our 12 months at home that we had hit the jackpot with R795, I truly only felt the significance of that when we left. A mighty club and group of people. I have intended on writing this note for months and months. When so many of you walked into our house in Carrigduff to say goodbye, it was so overwhelming, but so unbelievably significant to me. I'm sorry it's taken so long, but here it is, anyway.

To say I think of you often is a complete understatement. In fact, Paula Rankin and Mrs Shaughs could be excused for being slightly worried if they were to download my thoughts when out running! That low HR stuff has hit a massive nerve with me and, I will admit, has had a very positive impact on my running. I'm just back from a swim, where, of course I started thinking about our great sessions with James. And I always think of Martin when I swim, because I had the privilege of doing one session where just he and I turned up. The programme said something like 300m leg kick and I have to admit I turned around three-quarters of the way down each length, just to barely keep up! I'm sure he is still in everyone's thoughts everyday - and so he should.

I also think about our little running group at the GAA pitch and the feeling of exhilaration after completing another grueling interval session. Before the group sessions started, Kate, Joy and I really formed a close bond wearing gloves, hats and coats over the winter months in the snow and rain, discussing everything from sugar intake, to boyfriends to scary dogs, some craic indeed. Niall O' Muiri! When I saw him all dolled up on FB the other day, I laughed my head off! What a crazy, funny, massive-hearted man you are. Thanks for taking me on the spins (and to Joy for the bike!). The satisfaction of thawing out in the shower after a 100km spin, full of banter was, in hindsight, a highlight of the year.

So thank you R795, looking forward to joining your training sessions everytime we are home.

A massive thank you to everyone for your thoughts, visits and respect for my Dad, Liam. Its very hard to believe he is gone and, to be honest, I've become a dab hand and shoving those emotions right back inside when they peep out. But out they must come. Dad never really understood why I loved running so much, but he respected me for doing what I loved doing, as he did what he loved doing all his life. 'How are all the physical jerks'? he used to say when I'd arrive home from PE college. And as he sat in our kitchen in 5 Carrigduff last year drinking tea, after I arrived in from a run, wet and smiling, he was just so perplexed! But, he never stood in my way. Anyway, just to say it meant a huge amount to me, to see so many of you at the wake and funeral. Thank you so very much.

On another note, life here in Sydney is ticking along very nicely. I feel very happy and content here and am back into the full swing of things with kids, work, training etc. Its not a bad spot at all. I have many fitness goals that I want to reach still, but I did complete the Six Foot Track Marathon a few weeks ago, which has been on the bucket list for a while. I totally loved it and completed it in 4 hrs 40 mins which exceeded my expectations. http://www.sixfoot.com/ . I'd had a big break in training due to Dad's funeral and general messed-upedness after that, so I was thrilled with the time. I broke down as I crossed the line though, which, weirdly, felt good. Now I know what its all about, I'll be pushing hard to better that result next year. Triathlons have taken a back seat for now, but I am really enjoying the running. I'm envious of so many of you doing your Ironman training though! Man, it must be amazing! Looking forward to hearing all the updates and news on that front.

Right, I'd better go again. Folks, you are 10,730 miles away (exactly, I just googled Naremburn, Sydney to Bunclody), but also right here inside my head. Keep up all the great stuff you do :D

Over (but never out)

Orls x
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Lovely words Orla. That's what it's all about. We were only talking about you all the other day. Robyn is campaigning hard for a holiday in Sydney! Hi to Dean and the kids.