A4 racing - eeeuughhh

General MTB or Triathlon related discussions. Or anything else you fancy.
DavidF

Re: A4 racing - eeeuughhh

Post by DavidF »

Right Patsy.

After my miserable effort of a TT on Sunday I am doubtful that I could even live with the pace of the Slaney Novice league. if you look at the estimated power below I'm alarmed at my own inability to maintain any sort of decent level.

Now I know all the resident smart arses will say pedal faster, train harder, you're just f***in useless Furlong etc.. etc.. :shock:

But seeing as you're the man with the real experience, your opinion is more valued, no offence lads

So, can you give me some sort of idea of what sort of training is required to get to the standard where you could live with the bunch in an open A4 race, for example. What were you doing when you started?
phpaoxUYZAM.jpg
phpaoxUYZAM.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

DavidF wrote:Right Patsy.

After my miserable effort of a TT on Sunday I am doubtful that I could even live with the pace of the Slaney Novice league. if you look at the estimated power below I'm alarmed at my own inability to maintain any sort of decent level.

Now I know all the resident smart arses will say pedal faster, train harder, you're just f***in useless Furlong etc.. etc.. :shock:

But seeing as you're the man with the real experience, your opinion is more valued, no offence lads

So, can you give me some sort of idea of what sort of training is required to get to the standard where you could live with the bunch in an open A4 race, for example. What were you doing when you started?
phpaoxUYZAM.jpg
Hey David ,
I would'nt read too much into sundays time trial for a few reasons. Firstly from your graph it looks like you started off too quickly hence the downward curve ,I'll stick mine up here when i get home and you"ll see it almost a straight line. So just a bit of control needed at the start. Secondly I assume you don"t actually do any training for that kind of thing. Thirdly road racing is more about the stop/start efforts than a long sustaned effort unless you plan on getting in breakaways.
As an idea of what I was doing when I started to train properly . The weeks usually looked somethimg like this , 3 hard weeks and an easy week.
Week 1 Mon rest
Tue 3 x 15 min intervals @ 90% of threshold
Wed 4 X tabata int , 4 x int 20sec on full belt 10 sec off for 4 min with 6 min rest ,
Thur 6 x 3 min vo2 intervals
Fri rest
Sat 2 hrs endurance with a couple of 10sec sprints
Sun Race or spin with the group.
Week 2 and 3 would be similar maybe a cadence climbing drill on tue instead of the 15 min intervals but it would be working on the same system. That drill is done on a 12 min hill 90% of threshold 1min in saddle at 75cadence 1 min out of saddle at 55 cadence then 2min of each then 3 min of each.

Week 4 is rest nothing over endurance pace and 25% less time in the saddle.

The 15 min intervals will improve your tt and the other stuff midweek will help riding in a bunch.
Thats basic and very general David but will get you going very well. Most of racing is about hiding from the wind and being in the right place at the right time ,knowing the route and then you obviously have the naturally talented bo":&cks as well.

Patsy
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Deadly, thanks for that.

How do you accurately determine your threshold?
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

I have a powermeter so it's just a 20 minute test and minus 5% off the figure you finish with . I'm not sure how you go about doing it by heart rate .
MickF

Post by MickF »

Hi Lads,

A few of you expressed interest in racing in the Wexford leagues this year,

There is a slight change this year as it appears you have to register for the leagues and not just roll up on the night. I sent an e mail to Slaney Cycling Club and they have replied that the leagues will be open to riders outside of the 5 Wexford cycling clubs but the logistics for registering these riders are not in place yet. There requirement of a minimum of a Cycling Ireland Club Competition licence remains in place this year.

I will keep you posted as soon as I hear anymore.