Rear Cassette tweaking

General MTB or Triathlon related discussions. Or anything else you fancy.
NMcCord

Rear Cassette tweaking

Post by NMcCord »

I recently swapped out my rear cassette from a 9t 27t to a 11t 32t , swap over was simple and seemed to be selecting good on the stand . But on my first road spin I noticed it skipping gears and half selecting In the mid range . With it slipping badly under load . I.v adjusted it very slightly on the rear derailleur but I think my problem is I need a longer derailleur to allow for the bigger rings on the cassette .
Suggestions , help or ideas would be brilliant .
Thanks
Nigel
johnd

Re: Rear Cassette tweaking

Post by johnd »

Sounds like you need a new bike Nigel

;)
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Hard to say Nigel. Maybe a longer chain?
carr16v

Post by carr16v »

I would go with a longer chain, first. I would then check the spec for the rear derailleur and see what the max teeth on the cassette it can take.
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Is the cassette you changed to brand new Nigel?
NMcCord

Post by NMcCord »

Yes Brian its brand new cassette . I cross ref the original to the new one . I had one solution that I might have to fit a longer derailleur and chain . I was asking mechanic in the Giant Superstore in Dublin and told him I was thinking of changing it and he said no way it couldn't work and it would rattle if I did so . Anyway he was kinda right .
Its done what I wanted and got me up and over Corrabut and a few other hills I was struggling on before . I might just have to swap it back original .
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm , check out the chain length calculator here Nigel it might be some help.