Must watch cycling video

General MTB or Triathlon related discussions. Or anything else you fancy.
BShaugh

Must watch cycling video

Post by BShaugh »

Great advice on training, I think this has a lot of relevance to running also.
http://youtu.be/HTuaxOGdeXU
don

Re: Must watch cycling video

Post by don »

There will be many established sports scientists that will have heart palpitations looking at this, however even one of the oldest and most recognised triathlon coaches Joe Friel (the dreaded Triathlon Training Bible that we've all read a few pages of), recently wrote an article about base training, which backs up what these guys are saying. British coach of the year Simon Ward recently wrote about the exact same thing with the title of the article 'The time strapped Athlete'.

In fact I read an article a few years back about a Finnish Entrepreneur Sami Inkinen, who trained less than 10 hours a week and podiumed in Kona with a sun-9 hour race out there. He had training, recovery, work and family down to a fine art and Base Training didn't come in to it, he hadn't time for it. Good advice here, worth thinking about.
BShaugh

Re: Must watch cycling video

Post by BShaugh »

Yes I think it's important to note they are not saying long and easy is no good but just that weeks of it without any intensity is not ideal. I have read before about masters athletes should have a continuous season and no long off season, continue racing through out the year is best.