Group road spins

Use this area to arrange training spins, swims, runs etc. Non-Racing795 members can post in this area, so if you'd like to get involved please register and introduce yourself.
pjd

Group road spins

Post by pjd »

Following on from the big spin of a few weeks ago I said I'd put down dates for more of these.
Originally it was to be the first Sunday of the month but that's to rigid so a few of us picked the following dates that will suit most people.

Sunday 31 st March (Easter)

Saturday 20th April

Sunday 26th May ( With Slaney cycling club and Pat Whitney)

Sunday 23rd June

Sunday 21st July ( St Luke's sportive ferns..maybe)

Sunday 18th August

Footnote:
We picked the dates that suited most people. We acknowledge that some days won't suit people but putting up dates now may help with planning.
The idea is to make these spins the big ones (distance and members attending) and get the training in that's required for TDF.

One person will have to take on the "safety officer" role each spin to keep you all in check :x
Last edited by pjd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DavidF

Re: Group road spins

Post by DavidF »

Well done PJ, looking forward to these (although will be away for the first one)
johnd

Post by johnd »

Fair play PJ for getting the dates down. Was looking at all the clashes with races first Sunday of each month, great job changing them.
One of the first two days we could spin down to Graignemanagh and check out the bike route for Blackstairs Adventure race? I'll have a look at the route and post something up tomorrow as a suggestion.
johnd

Post by johnd »

How about something like this?

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=512123

Bunclody / Kiltealy / Graignemanagh / st Mullins / Kiltealy / finish with an easy saunter over the big mountain

is it long enough?
pjd

Post by pjd »

Looks good . Will talk to Yea over the weekend.
I know there's a mass at the nine stones at dawn Easter Sunday if any of you want to take it in :D
pjd

Post by pjd »

Ok second big spin is this Sunday morning.
Leaving the Square in Bunclody at 7:30 am sharp.
Don't forget the clock changes !

Route as John picked out above.
John where will we stop for 20 mins for a cuppa?

I'll act as safety officer unless someone else wants it?

Who's going?
johnd

Post by johnd »

pjd wrote:
John where will we stop for 20 mins for a cuppa?

eh ... Bunclody??

When you say cuppa do you want to go inside, sit down and put your feet up?
Or is it a case of stopping by the side of the road, wiping the snot off your face and scoffing a banana?

Are Niall and Lorraine coming? it's only 30k to Graignemanagh and they will probably have the best selection of Haute Couture along the way :o
Other than that there's not many options along the route other than the return through Kiltealy at 60k, but at 10am on Easter Sunday morning there's probably not an awful lot happening in Kiltealy (petrol station doesn't open on a Sunday I'm told). We could detour through Rathnure at about 50k and see what's happening there if you're really bursting for a sup of tea, haven't a scooby what we'll find though but is probably the best bet.

Why not throw a teabag into your water bottle?
johnd

Post by johnd »

I'll be there anyway
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

why don't you go from Graigue to Borris instead of ballymurphy - you'll be able to get a cuppa in the shop there on the main street or if you were really organised something in the Step House at the top of the town
johnd

Post by johnd »

Wrong direction DF
The plan is to follow the Blackstairs Adventure race cycle route so we're going Ballymurphy - Graignemanagh - Carrickgleade

Although we could loop back home through Borris if people want, would be hitting Borris at about 70k, then up and over the 9 stones for a 95k total?
Is that too far for the first spin, or are people happy enough?

Mr Training Coordinator ( PJ? ) - it's your call :D