Open water!

Use this area to arrange training spins, swims, runs etc. Non-Racing795 members can post in this area, so if you'd like to get involved please register and introduce yourself.
don

Re: Open water!

Post by don »

Me too.
frankb

Post by frankb »

Folks

Ye will have to move swim location for next 2-3 weeks as erosion protection works will be on - going. Pollshone possibly.
don

Post by don »

Is it possible to go in at the Harbour end, down the slip way there and swim in the opposite direction that we normally go Frank?
johnd

Post by johnd »

You can still access the water via the RNLI emergency slipway down near the harbour mouth Don.
The problem is with entry / exit opportunities north of the slipway, only one option at the steps a little under halfway towards the lifeguard hut. That entire part of the shore is covered with rock - no beach.
There are also barriers erected down the rocks and into the water between this point and the lifeguard hut.
For a strong swimmer like yourself it will be no problem, go out, swim around for a bit, turn back to the slipway. For weaker swimmers (like me) I'd be nervous that there are little or no bail out points, and the part of the shore you are confined to is just rock. Pollshone like Frank suggests is probably the best option, you'd just have to park on the right at the top of the lane, parking very restricted down where we used to park. It's only 200 meters from the beach.

Anyway, I wont be swimming with ye so go ahead and do whatever ye fancy.
don

Post by don »

Appreciate that John, would never compromise safety/bailout so Pollshone it is then. I'll post a link for directions on Monday, when the madness is over.
RGough

Post by RGough »

Hi Guys

I am out for Tuesday this week due to throat and ear infection. Let me know how you go and tell me plan for next week.

Enjoy..

Ruairi
don

Post by don »

There's a status yellow warning for Gale and Light Craft on Met Eireann. http://www.met.ie/

Despite one's argument that I might fit more appropriately into Heavy Craft, unfortunately open water will not happen in the morning as a result. Weather later in the week to be better, so we might try on Thursday morning. I'll post again tomorrow/Wed. Pollshone will be the venue.
don

Post by don »

Weather looking ok for tomorrow, so myself and Paul are heading down to Pollshone. 7am in the water. Hope to see a few of ye there. Will be my first open water in a while.
Jarlath

Post by Jarlath »

I'll join you Don if you don't mind.
Eimearbowden

Post by Eimearbowden »

Great stuff! I'll join ye too if that's ok.