Ditch the Turbo this Winter - mtb intro day 9th October

Use this area to arrange training spins, swims, runs etc. Non-Racing795 members can post in this area, so if you'd like to get involved please register and introduce yourself.
DavidF

Ditch the Turbo this Winter - mtb intro day 9th October

Post by DavidF »

DC started the whole local mtb scene as we know it now. Around August 2006 he announced (to me) that he was taking up mountainbiking. At the same time I had completed my first two triathlons that summer with Jim, James and Tony. Coincidentally, myself and Jim were wondering what to do for the winter with our new found and hard earned fitness. I declared I was going to join DC in the mountains, and Jim said if you’re in I’m in too. So, believe it or not, off I went to The Bike Shop in Wexford, and came back to Bunclody with two new mountainbikes.

And so off we went on our journey. We were lucky that on one of our first spins we met a guy who new some of the local trails. I’ll never forget the first time we went down Paradise – it blew our minds. We thought mtb’ing was tootling around on fireroads....Another thing in our favour is that we started at similar levels of fitness and vaguely similar levels of ability. So we got fit and better together. Barry joined us soon after but he was fit and good so he was able to slot right in.

So why am I telling you this?

It seems to me that there is a growing interest in mtb amongst the non mtb’ers in the club – especially as a winter pastime. I sense that some of the triathletes can see that taking up mtb at least for the Winter, might be a good way to stay fit and have some fun at the same time.

I would like to share what I see as the benefits of Winter mtb’ing, and also dispel some myths:

- Road cycling in the winter is no fun. It’s too cold and wet and the roads are too dangerous. Conversely mtb’ing is great fun. It’s never too cold as you are moving much slower, if it’s too wet you duck under a tree, and there’s no cars to deal with. And the muck! Look at this pair!
DSCN3065.JPG
DSCN3065.JPG (61.23 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
- You can mtb in the dark with appropriate lights. Beats the turbo any day.
DSCF0388.JPG
DSCF0388.JPG (18.21 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
- Sunday morning spins are even paced long spins. Perfect for base building.
- Wednesday evening spins (especially) in the Quarry are more like interval training.

Apart from the obvious training benefits there’s also The Craic:

- Mtb’ing is sociable. Because you are moving slower than on the road, and spending 90% of your time going uphill there’s plenty of time for chat and slagging. And chat we do. Just ask Barry.
- Getting to know your local area – how many times have you been up the road to the 9 stones? From the places we get to you can see the whole are from a different perspective
DSCF0023.JPG
DSCF0023.JPG (35.93 KiB) Viewed 6184 times

I know a concern for some is the apparent danger. For most of you, your only exposure to mtb’ing is our race in March. Don;t forget that at that race you are seeing Irelands best xc racers, on what is considered to be a technical course. This is not representative of what we do week in week out. It’s important to note that for every technical downhill that we have there’s almost always an alternative ,non-dangerous fireroad option. For anyone starting out we would be advocating this until you find your feet.

For me, I look forward every year to the Winter mtb’ing. The racing is over – be it mtb or triathlon and it’s time to get out with your mates and have a bit of craic.

We’re putting Sunday October 9th aside to introduce people to mtb’ing. We’ve had a good few enquiries from outside the club, so we will be telling those people to come along that day if they are interested and we will show them around and give some tips. We would love to see some of our own (currently non-mtbing) members there as well. Don't forget we have a club bike and most of the regular mtb'ers us have 2 bikes (or more :oops: ) so don't be shy to ask for a bike.

We will post details of what to bring etc.., nearer the day.
pcoulahan

Re: Ditch the Turbo this Winter - mtb intro day 9th October

Post by pcoulahan »

I might give this a try.....but I have so many questions.....

do I need a full face helmet to protect my pretty face in case of falls (I'm prettier than the average club mtb'er)

will you laugh at me if I turn up on a €150 Halfords mtb

do I have to wear funky baggy shorts

how much is all the new gear going to cost me (that's actually Val's question)

Great stuff David, I'll look forward to it.
don

Post by don »

SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! Although DC's recent words of wisdom and Rudolf's words of wisdom earlier in the season had me already sold. I'll be just back from a weeks holidays and a months rest so I'll be eager. Looking forward to the craic and Peter, don't worry about the laughing, there'll be a few in teh same boat... We can all laugh at each other :lol:
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

pcoulahan wrote:do I need a full face helmet to protect my pretty face in case of falls (I'm prettier than the average club mtb'er)
Don;t worry we will try not to put you in any face plant sitautions on day 1
pcoulahan wrote:will you laugh at me if I turn up on a €150 Halfords mtb
Yes! If you turn up on a bike shaped object from Halfords, I guarantee you won't be back cos it will be so unenjoyable. Book the club bike or shout out for a loan
pcoulahan wrote:do I have to wear funky baggy shorts
If you turn up in lycra it infers that you are a lightning fast xc type. So yes, so funky baggy shorts for you Peter
pcoulahan wrote:how much is all the new gear going to cost me (that's actually Val's question)
Come and have alook in my shed, actually on second thoughts don't....

Great stuff David, I'll look forward to it.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Here's some tips on what you will need: (courtesy of our friends in MAD mtb)

What to wear?

You don’t need cycling specific gear when you’re starting out, although proper cycling clothing will be a lot more comfortable in the long run. The basics are: a cycling helmet, tracksuit, cycling jersey or wicking t-shirt and a pair of runners with grippy soles.

You should also bring a wind/waterproof jacket at all times of year, both summer and winter – as well as keeping you dry it’ll protect you from the wind on exposed hillsides.

Other things you might need are:

* padded cycling shorts or tights – after a few hours in the saddle you’ll really appreciate a good pair of shorts
* cycling gloves – as well a providing comfort when holding the bars a pair of gloves will protect your hands in the event of a crash. There are long and short fingered ones depending on your preferences.
* cycling shoes – proper cycling shoes will have stiff soles to make pedalling easier
* clipless pedals – some riders prefer flat pedals but clipless pedals and shoes can provide more power when climbing and more security when descending
* sunglasses – these can protect your eyes from mud and debris thrown up by your wheels

What to bring?

There are a few essentials which you should have with you on every ride:

* Water – at least one drink bottle full
* Food – you use up a lot of energy while mountainbiking so it’s important to refuel regularly. Bring whatever you like to eat. Fig Rolls are always popular.
* Spare tube (or two) – You’re sure to get a puncture eventually so it’s wise to have a spare tube with you. It’s faster to change a tube then to patch an old one (you can patch it at home later)
* Pump – You won’t get far if you can’t inflate your tyre after a puncture. Don’t assume someone else will have one
* Basic tools – at a mininum you should have tyre levers and allen keys for the bolts on your bike. If you’re unsure about working on your bike just ask someone in the club.
* a backpack to put all the above in
LorraineB

Post by LorraineB »

I'm interested in this, i know i'm not a first time mtb'er but it's been so long since I've been on my mountain bike (april) that it feels that way
pcoulahan

Post by pcoulahan »

Yes! If you turn up on a bike shaped object from Halfords, I guarantee you won't be back cos it will be so unenjoyable. Book the club bike or shout out for a loan
How do I book the club bike? (that statement has all sort of conitations in my head :roll: )
Dena

Post by Dena »

Is there a club bike that would suit me? I only have a crappy halfords one too!

And will i be laughed out if i cycle up but walk the bike down? I really would love to give it ago but I'm a bit shitty.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

pcoulahan wrote:
How do I book the club bike? (that statement has all sort of conitations in my head :roll: )
Peter, talk to Barry - he has it
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Dena wrote:Is there a club bike that would suit me? I only have a crappy halfords one too!

And will i be laughed out if i cycle up but walk the bike down? I really would love to give it ago but I'm a bit shitty.
Dena - Joy has a bike that would suit you i'm sure she would loan it to you

And no you won't be laughed out of it. As I said above for people that don;t want to try the rough stuff we will have alternatives. They are called chicken runs though, so you will be slagged :D