Open Water Swim Camp

Organised club training activities are posted here.
don

Open Water Swim Camp

Post by don »

The Training Committee are pleased to announce that we have organised an 'Open water swim camp'. The event will be hosted on Saturday 6th June in Courtown, from 3pm - 5pm, where we normally meet on the beach. It will be €15/person. Please express your interest here as the event will be based on numbers. Despite all the swimming we do indoors, pretty much all triathlons will be held in 'Open Water' and it is a different type of swimming. It's not often we get such an advanced coach to assist the club and the committee believe this will be an invaluable event to attend for all triathletes.

The camp will be hosted by Ger Kennedy. Ger is an STA Qualified Open Water Coach and a distinguished Open water, Long distance swimmer in his own right. His accomplishments include: Swimming the English Channel, completing a 24 hour sea swim and he was voted Leinster open water swimmer of the year 2014. He is also an Extreme ice swimmer and has competed internationally. 1st Ice Swimming World Championships 2015, Murmansk, Russia (within the Arctic Circle!). Ger swam a distance of 1km at 0c water temp with an air temperature of -10. Ice Championships, Tyumen, Siberia, Russia 2014 at various distances in 0c water temp and an air temperature of -15!! 4 x Ice Mile Challenge ( One of the top 10 toughest swims in the world). Ger also has the Irish Ice Swimming Long Distance Record which is 2.1km in 3 Degrees!!

What to expect at the camp. Ger will discuss the following, before we hit the water:
• Open water swimming equipment
• Open water swimming techniques
• Open water course management
• Session planning
• Q&A

The camp will be approx. 1.5 - 2 hours depending on the numbers and questions and he will have a qualified assistant with him. We will post exact details closer to the event, once we get numbers and see how the weather will be.

The Training Team
Lou Lou

Re: Open Water Swim Camp

Post by Lou Lou »

That sounds like a brilliant camp, well done for getting that, i cant fit in a wetsuits so wont make it :shock: but looking forward to hearing how is goes......maybe next time aiil b there
johnd

Post by johnd »

Sounds great lads, really well done on getting organised.
If you plan to meet at the lifeguard hut on the Burrow road (North Beach), that section of the beach is currently closed for the installation of an anti erosion barrier. Nothing but diggers and dump trucks allowed down there at the moment.
I'm being told from a resident that it won't reopen until middle or end of June.
don

Post by don »

Thanks for the info John, I'll take a trip down and have a look and plan where to meet. Hope all is well with you.
frankb

Post by frankb »

Sign me up Don
Dena

Post by Dena »

Stick me down pls, is this members only?
don

Post by don »

No it's open Dena to all Dena. If numbers start to fill fast, then we can see about another possible date.
Elainegib

Post by Elainegib »

I was waiting for that!! But can't make it :-( on holidays so it's a throw up between Courtown and Portugal...
frankb

Post by frankb »

Erosion protection works will be finished by then
LorraineB

Post by LorraineB »

I'd be interested thanks