Powertap Turbo Workshop Night

Organised club training activities are posted here.
frankb

Re: Powertap Turbo Workshop Night

Post by frankb »

I will be attending.
frankb

Post by frankb »

Closing date for sign up to this workshop is this Wed eve Oct 21st. You must have signed up to use the powertap wheels also via web form in. Member's Area posting by DT
niallomuiri

Post by niallomuiri »

Cant make this event sorry
frankb

Post by frankb »

Many thanks to Patsy who travelled from Wexford (via Cork :o ) to give this very informative session and went to a lot of bother preparing handouts etc. It was very well received and greatly appreciated by all and now we just have to put this information into practice.
Last edited by frankb on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Thanks Patsy - great information.
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

Glad I could help a small bit , I'll just need to work on my presentation skills . I'm sure " it'll bloody hurt " isn't an accepted technical term .
pjd

Post by pjd »

Hi Patsy unfortunately I had to skip the power tap night due to a wedding but I was wondering the 20 min test....If you had the use of a watt bike would you do the test on that or use the power tap wheel. ?

Thanks
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

pjd wrote:Hi Patsy unfortunately I had to skip the power tap night due to a wedding but I was wondering the 20 min test....If you had the use of a watt bike would you do the test on that or use the power tap wheel. ?

Thanks
Hi PJ , personally I would use the powertap wheel (outside rather than on a turbo) . The watt bike is obviously perfect for the job but its easier to overheat which will make the perceived effort seem worse than it is. If you yourself don't mind doing something that hard indoors then the result should be similar enough either way.
pjd

Post by pjd »

Thanks Patsy. I'm next up on the wheel I think so I'll give it a go outdoors as well.
It will be interesting to see what difference there is.

Something that may be of interest:
I did a FTP test in Jan this yr after an ok winter and repeated it today after 5,500 km approx cycling km over the 10 months and I dropped 5 watts! :o
FTP is 95% of avg watt from 20 min test isn't it.

Thanks Patsy
Patsymc

Post by Patsymc »

pjd wrote:Thanks Patsy. I'm next up on the wheel I think so I'll give it a go outdoors as well.
It will be interesting to see what difference there is.

Something that may be of interest:
I did a FTP test in Jan this yr after an ok winter and repeated it today after 5,500 km approx cycling km over the 10 months and I dropped 5 watts! :o
FTP is 95% of avg watt from 20 min test isn't it.

Thanks Patsy
Yep 95% of 20min average is your FTP , in my own opinion its better to do the test every 6 - 8 weeks because it gives you a better picture. You might have made very little gains between those tests , you may have just have had a bad day , you may have been tired . Which is why testing a bit more often gives a better picture . You may also have been doing the wrong kind of training to raise your FTP :( . I always use the same road for the test, always use the same power meter and always do it the tuesday of the 2nd week in the training block , it might be making no difference but if as many of the variables are kept the same it cant do any harm.