Club Championship 2018

Organised club training activities are posted here.
pjd

Club Championship 2018

Post by pjd »

Last edited by pjd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

Re: Club Championship 2018

Post by Tom »

Fair play lads a good lot of work in organizing that. The only issue I have and maybe I’m on my own here is the scoring. Personally for me to get anywhere near a 10km bp from 2016(didn’t do one last year) I would have to train exclusively for a 10km for the next 10/12 weeks and even at that the most I could even dream about knocking off would be 4/5 seconds in ideal circumstances whereas a novice could knock anything up to 10 mins off in the first year or two of competing so essentially I haven’t got a hope in the races I should be strongest in and the same will go for the mountain bike lads, they’re up in hills busting a gut for months and i could come along and toddle around behind them and win. I don’t really agree with that, I would rather bury myself and see how close I can get to the best mountain biker/swimmer etc in the club go home lick my wounds and try get closer to them the next night than finish well behind them and win by default. I know it’s not easy to come up with a scoring system but surely the man/women who works the hardest and therefore wins should be rewarded. I’m all for including everyone but if we want the club to grow as was said at the Xmas night then we need the club to be competitive and inclusive, not just inclusive, nothing will-swell numbers in a club like success, especially for getting younger members and the only way to get competitive in national series is to murder each other in training event. Each member should be killing therselves to stay ahead or catch someone in races, not be looking at the watch thinking sure I have 10min on him. Maybe you could do something like you can only score in 2 of your strongest event which will make people do the events they mightn’t normally do or if it needs to be handycapt then have 3/4 divisions and split the athletes this way. Again this is only my opinion and I appreciate the work that has gone into getting the league set up.
Yvette D

Post by Yvette D »

Great work guys and some good points Tom, personally I think it is a fair scoring system based on personal improvement. Granted when you are at the top already improvement is seconds rather than minutes so then to win club champion you need to do events you wont normally do as you see the biggest improvement. Also this new format covers all of the club. A moutain biker/cyclist may have to try a run or swim. A runner may have to cycle or swim. A triatlete may have to mountain bike.
It might or might not bring in new member as events are open to non members but should be a bit of craic and competitive if more members are participating.
pjd

Post by pjd »

Hi Tom thanks for the feedback. This is something that we are trying for the first time. It's by no means perfect and will need to be flexible and open to change in the future. Racing 795 is unique in so far as it has a broad spectrum of athletes. With members who solely mtb or run to triathletes. With that in mind we tried to come up with events that gives everyone a chance.

With regard to the PBs I should have made it clear that a current personal best time is what we want, it can be from either of the distances . In order for this to work correctly it needs to be relative to where the person's ability is at the time of club events. The parkrun tomorrow gives everyone the opportunity to do just this for running.

The first past the post system: while the club use this for the summer/winter leagues it has never been used for the club championship. We did explore it as an option. But it was decided to keep with the long standing Racing 795 ideal of participation and improvement.

The current 795 committee agreed that this should continue for the future.

A change to this principle we think should be discussed at an AGM by all members.

It is our hope that members come out and take part in all these events and maybe find another sport they find enjoyable.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Yours in sport

Niall Mike and PJ
pjd

Post by pjd »

Folks there seems to be some confusion regarding times for PBs.
What we want is your best time from 2017 /18 (2016 as a last resort)
This may not be your actual PB but is most relevant to now.
When looking for your times don't forget the club events from 16/17.
The duathlon , road bike race and swim events for this yr are all on the same course are previous years.
So your times from these are most relevant unless you did a quicker times elsewhere and they can be found by searching on racing795.com

Bike can be 20km 25km(club summer loop is a Strava segment) or 40km.

If you don’t have a best time you may just get out and get one!
Get stuck into a parkrun or the test duathlon etc

It’s up to the members to provide their times.

If your not taking part in an event type say so when submitting your times.
Eg if your not doing the swim events because you can’t swim. Tell us .

2018 membership must be paid by Friday 26th Jan to get points.
pjd

Post by pjd »

Reminder:

The closing date for your best times is fast approaching, this Sunday.
We need:
A swim time = 750/1,500m (club swim series last yr is most relevant)
A run time = 5 or 10 km
A bike time = 20/25/40km ( 25km club racing loop is a Strava segment)
A duathlon time = again club duathlon from last yr is most relevant.
Club races are only a guide ,if you have a better time last yr you must use that.
The Mtb event timing will be announced before first race.

We hope that members will move outside their normal discipline and try something new. But if you do not intend on doing an event type will you say so when submitting your other times.

2018 membership must be paid by Friday 26th Jan to get points.