Killarney Triathlon(s)

All things race-related.
DavidF

Killarney Triathlon(s)

Post by DavidF »

Good luck to Felix and Oscar....ahem....I mean Frank and PJ in the Killarney Triathlon tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the report :D

http://www.killarneylions.ie/index.php? ... &Itemid=20
BarryB

Re: Killarney Triathlon(s)

Post by BarryB »

Any word from the dynamic duo??
frankb

Post by frankb »

The second Killarney Triathlon took place on May 28th 2011.

The Sprint Distance race was a 750m swim, 23km cycle and 5km run. The Olympic consisted of 1500m swim, 46km cycle and 10km run

Originally the Olympic swim course was a 750 swim due north-west, but due to windy conditions, Triathlon Ireland committee decided to reduce this to the 350 buoy and create a 100 x 100m square which they looped before returning to Ross Castle.

The sprint swim consisted of two waves. I was in wave two with Brian Byrne (a cousin of Barry Byrne’s). While waiting to go we watched several wave one swimmers hold up there hand to the water rescue crew or turn from home before they reached the first buoy. This didn’t exactly inspire confidence in either of us – Brian turned to me and stated in a questioning tone “We are doing this by choice?” …Enough said. Anyway, we started with a 350m swim in a direction northwest from Ross Castle with the wind in our faces, resulting in wave like conditions where it felt like you were swimming out to sea. Most triathletes found it difficult to avoid taking in mouthfuls of water due to these conditions. However, breathing off the left resulted in great views of the peaks of Purple Mountain and Dunloe Upper in the stunning Killarney National Park. We then turned north-east for 100m at buoy 2 and gladly turned for home with the wind behind us at the next buoy. Sighting was easiest on the way back as Ross Castle provided the perfect high point. Again we lost a few swimmers to the rescue crew along the way.

Brian did a great time, considering he had very little experience of open water swimming.

While my time wasn’t anything to write home about – if was my best open water swim to-date. I swam front-crawl from start to finish without stopping, resting, panicking etc – and before ye unleash – I know that’s what you’re supposed to do, but knowing and doing are two different things!

The Olympic triathletes were next to go, which included PJ (aka Felix). Likewise, he took in a lot of water…but I’m not surprised because he never stopped talking all the way to Killarney! Seriously though, he took awhile to get into a swim rhythm but ended up doing a great time.

Out of the water and into transition, wetsuit off first go, long-sleeve jacket on as water was cold and likewise air temperature. Cycling up the road, I couldn’t figure how my legs were under such pressure, long story short – a tip for everyone; ensure you check your wheel alignment in advance of all races!
The cycle route was an urban loop by two for sprint and by four for Olympic. A little disappointing for somewhere so scenic, however it was extremely well marshalled and the Garda did an outstanding job at 8 junctions, giving right-of-way to cyclists at all times. However one particular junction had a constant 1 mile tailback of traffic, which resulted in some triathletes taking the inside cycle lane and having to hop onto path when lane got blocked by a car. It was here that Brian took a tumble and injured calf badly, but carried on valiantly. Others took the middle of the road, which was quite dangerous, due to on-coming traffic.
I met PJ flying by as I completed my first loop. Second loop went a little better, as the break block obviously wore down a little more, but calf cramp kicked in.

PJ completed the four loops in a great time. My T2 consisted of calf stretching as did the first kilometre of the run, but finally got going. PJ did a great T2 and was the third fastest of the Olympic. We’ll never hear the end of that one! BTW – did I mention, I beat him in the T1 – something he was reminded of…several times on the way home.

The run was through Ross Island which contains the oldest copper mine in Ireland (according to BanB host - so open to correction D F). Two loops for Sprint and four loops for Olympic distance through this very scenic run route on a mix of trail and narrow semi-tarred path through wild garlic carpeted woodland with occasional views over the lake. It was not a route for the purest runners as it was very undulating to hilly, but i liked it. PJ did a good run considering what had come before and Brian did extremely well to complete the run considering the state of his calf.

All told an enjoyable day – of course the sun came out and wind died down when all was finished. It was a well organised event. Would I do it again – yes if they changed the cycle route and sent us to the country.

Thanks to PJ for helping with the driving – 165.6 miles down of which he did 5.6miles and managed to drive from Kilkenny home on return leg. Thanks to Jim F for the bike carrier.

Results link below
http://results.racetectiming.com/Defaul ... 0009&EId=2

Only photo of the day
https://picasaweb.google.com/rankinburk ... 2628935826
pjd

Post by pjd »

Well done Frank great report,now I'll tell what really happened........

Firstly nah only joking.
Franks right( for once ) the bike route was very disappointing would return if it changed.
Swim was tough which you see when you look a winners times.
It's unreal the pleasure some lads get out of beating me in t1!!
For the record re: the driving if your car wasn't wobbling all over the road I'd have drove further than the 45 mls I did.
Great road trip can't wait for the next one
Did I ever tell you the one about...........
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Another excellent episode of the Frank and PJ Show, or is it the PJ and Frank Show? Discuss :lol:
Nice report Frank, and well done to both.
BShaugh

Post by BShaugh »

well done lads - nice times and race report, you must have been motoring for the cycle PJ, good running Frank after the tough cycle

I like the bit about the oldest copper mine in Ireland - wow must be a great tourist attractin eh Frank?!
remind me never to go on holidays with you!!

pity cycle wasn't more scenic, you would have imagined that would have been easy in Kerry
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

frankb wrote: the oldest copper mine in Ireland (according to BanB host - so open to correction D F).
jaysus you'd believe anything... :D
pjd wrote: Did I ever tell you the one about...........
please do PJ

joking aside, well done lads, Frank looks like you've banished the openwater heebeegeebees forever. PJ solid as ever
RGough

Post by RGough »

Well done lads, sounds like a good day out! Might put it in the diary for 2012!
don

Post by don »

Well done guys, fair play for braving the elements, especially the swim. Quite a daunting task, facing into a tough swim. Gosh the 795'ers were out in style all over the Country at the weekend, great to see so many representing the club in the far corners of the Country :D
DavidC

Post by DavidC »